Confronteras
is an initiative of the Child Leader Project to immerse young leaders in experiences and opportunities regarding issues that they identify as most important to them. Confronteras: Confronting the USA-Mexico Border is an opportunity to visit the border and meet with leaders, immigrants and citizens to create a whole and contextual understanding of what the border means to people on both sides. For more information, contact Sara Crowder at sara@childleaderproject.org.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

January Training Session by Jessica

Our last training (on January 25th), felt to me like a training of our personal abilities to handle rude behavior and bad reactions from people who don't share our same points of view. When we watched the youtube video of two high school girls from Arizona who said many mean and horrible things about "immigrants," I was really surprised. I had never experienced any rude comments or racism that felt like it was directed at me, and seeing this gave me an idea of how it felt; and it felt really horrible. I realized that there are people in this country that maintain a lot of hate toward Mexicans. Our meeting on Wednesday gave me a negative impression of Arizona, and in this light I would even go so far as to say that they give our country a bad reputation. However, the training also made me want to strive to do something good in this world and make a difference, which makes me excited for our upcoming trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment